I don't even know where to begin. So much has happened in the last 2 weeks. I've never been very good with words...so I apologize in advance for my sloppiness :).
On March 11, 2011 Japan experienced a 9.0 magnitude earthquake, which caused a devastating tsunami, and then the Fukushima nuclear power plant had a melt down & is still currently experiencing difficulties.

(picture borrowed from seibertron.com)

(picture borrowed from flashnewstoday.com)
These last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind. I don't even know what day it is any more. Our base (Yokota Air Base) immediately became the hub for all aircrafts coming to help with relief. Active duty members, civilians, and volunteers have been working non-stop ever since. It has been so neat to witness this so closely. I love driving by the flight line each day and seeing more and more airplanes and helicopters come and go with relief effort. The military is so amazing!


YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan -- A C-17 Globemaster III from Royal Australian Air Force Base Amberley takes off carrying 16 pallets of humanitarian aid to Sendai, Japan, March 21. With the assistance of Yokota Airmen, the RAAF were able to deliver 90,000 pounds of cargo in support of Operation Tomodachi. Operation Tomodachi is a relief support mission aiding those affected by the devastation caused by the recent earthquake and tsunami March 11. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Michael J. Veloz)
I have also learned how amazing the Gospel of Jesus Christ is. My testimony has grown so much these last 2 weeks. I absolutely KNOW that my Heavenly Father & Savior Jesus Christ live! I'm not a direct victim of this tragedy but I have personally felt their love for me throughout this whole thing. I have learned it is up to us to invite the Savior into our lives, and when we do...we can find true peace and comfort.

Like I said...it has been a whirlwind here. On top of all that has been happening in Japan, a Voluntary Departure was issued for all military dependents. That meant all dependents could choose to leave Japan for a short time (at least 1 month or more) and it would be paid for. Panic mode set in all across the base. Everyday people questioned whether they would stay or go. It was up to each family to choose & the answer was different for every family. Everyone seemed so stressed out. You could feel it the moment you woke up in the morning. Each day we wondered ..."why would they issue a Voluntary Departure...is there something they are not telling us?"..."who's going to leave today?"..."will it be us this time?"...."what are 'they' doing...what should we do?"..."is there radiation in our air or water", "is it safe to stay", etc. Then people started leaving and everyone (even me) started to panic even more.
To make a long story short I am still here in Japan and feel this is where I am supposed to be. As much as I wanted to go home and visit my family (and have it all payed for by someone else)...I felt very strongly that I needed to stay here. There have been times when I have questioned "why ", but as long as I have turned to my Father in Heaven in prayer...I have been comforted. He has been the best source of true comfort and peace for me. I have not been scared or paranoid and I know it's ONLY because of the peace He has given me & the people He has placed in my life to help me find that peace. Most of you know that I'm normally NOT a very calm person, so this calmness has definitely been another answer to me and my family that we should stay put for now.

The country of Japan has gone through so much these last two weeks, but I have no doubt they will overcome this devastation. They are an amazing people and will always have a place in my heart! Please keep praying for them! I love this place!







5 comments:
What a hard decision, I know the Lord will keep you safe and strong, hang in there!
we've been thinking about you guys so much since the earthquake. we are so grateful you are safe! you and the rest of japan are in our prayers.
I have been waiting for you to post. The first thing I said to my Mom was - what about the Andrews family? Are they ok? Ha truly you are the only person I know in Japan so I was worried. Glad to hear you are safe and sound and I will keep you in my prayers!
Oh Amy! Thank you for these posts. First of all, we are so thankful you and your darling family are safe. Crazy that your sister-in-law and family were there for this world changing event. Second, we appreciate your testimony and spirit. Third, we will forever love the Atkin family no matter where in the world any of you may be! We made our donation to the Red Cross right after it all happened. So easy with a simple text on our cell phones. I encouraged my facebook friends to do the same:)
oh thanks for the update. I have thought so so much about your family. This would be a very hard decision to stay or go. Best of luck with everything. My heart aches for all the people in Japan! Love you guys!!
Post a Comment