Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taiwan-Taichung, Day 3-5

Traveling by train (2 hours) to my mission: Taichung, Taiwan

I had to buy the tickets (and there were many different "speed" trains going our way) and get us on the right platform, to the right city, and at the time we planned to meet my friend Joyce...all in Chinese (and without a cell phone). I really think we just got lucky. I might have only used a little bit of Chinese but I was super excited that it worked and they understood me :)
Thank goodness Jayden had just bought himself the Nintendo DS the week before. It was REALLY handy this whole trip.
Thank you Salmons for lending us some Barbie movies...there were times I'd forget Tia was even next to me because she was so quiet.

The City of ChangHua
My friend, Joyce, picked us up at the train station and took us to the last area that I served in (ChangHua). I remember visiting this Buddha my last month in Taiwan 11 years ago. Joyce was so nice and spent the whole day with us driving around to different places. I loved getting to know her better.
Dry squid anyone?
I LOVE the drinks in Taiwan...Tia was NOT a big fan! This was a papaya drink which is the area's specialty. I love how they make these drinks then slap this clear plastic across the top. You can shake your drink, turn it upside down..anything until you poke the straw in.

Lukang
Lukang is a famous little town that has preserved the old Chinese buildings. It's fun to walk through the streets.
This is Joyce. When we taught her 11 years ago she had a daughter Tia's age...and now her daughter is a Young Women. It's crazy! She is an amazing woman and has stayed very strong in the gospel while raising her daughter by herself. She truly is a great example! What a fun day we had with her.
My friends, Yu ching and her mom (Chen Mama), met us for dinner. I met them in 2000 and they still look the exact same. I couldn't stop crying when I was hugging them. Chen Mama used to make dinner for my companion (Summer Schenk) and I EVERY Sunday when we were in their area. I have dreamt about her dinner for almost 12 years. It was to DIE for! She would fry us a fish with who knows what kind of sauce, and it would just melt in our mouth....and I didn't even like fish!
This is another one of my favorite things in Taiwan: Guava and some sort of plum powder. Oh my goodness....it's so yummy. I wish I had some right now.

Taichung City
The view of Taichung from our hotel window.
The mission office is right behind and to the left of that tall building in the upper right hand corner. I think this was the very first park that I went contacting in as a missionary. I had only been in Taiwan 1 day.

The City of Puli
We were so blessed to have many of my friends spend time with us. This day my friend Shirley, in the stripes, (and her friend) took us sightseeing. I met Shirley 12 years ago when she passed me on a motor scooter and waved at me (I was on a bicycle). She had short, red, spiky hair and was wearing red lipstick. She definitely stuck out and I thought there was no way she would talk to us. I told Heavenly Father if he turned the next street light red, then I would go up to her and ask her to listen to our message about Jesus Christ. Just then, the street light turned red and Shirley stopped! I think my heart stopped beating also. I rode up next to her and asked her and she said YES! I couldn't believe it! She was baptized a few months later.

Shirley told me that this was the street light (right in front of the bridge) that I stopped her at...
(in JuDong)

She and her friend spent the next 2 days driving us all over the island visiting people and vacationing with us. I never lived in Puli, but it is a really beautiful place to go and visit so we did.
Chen Mama and Yu Qing came with us also. What a special day!

Sun Moon Lake
Another yummy Chinese style meal.
I forgot to mention...Jayden and Tia ate Peanut Butter & honey sandwiches the ENTIRE trip. Shane and I about went crazy, but I guess that's what I get...they inherited their pickiness from me.
Tia was loving all of my friends. Here she is strolling down the street with Chen Mama...so cute!
Us with Chen Mama & Yu Qing.
Us with Shirley.

ChangHua Members
One of the sweet members in my last area, Shadow-the one with short hair next to me, put together a little party the night I was there. It was at the Chen Family's house...which is in the same building that I used to live in. I love the Chen Family!
Tia made a little friend that night.
Sister Chen with all the kids and her dog (who is treated just like a person in their family). She had a different dog when I was there 11 years ago, but this new dog is also really sweet.
Brother Chen playing his saxophone.
11 years ago my companion and I "heart attacked" the Chen family's door. I was shocked to see that they STILL had the hearts up.
My companion and I made these ones...
Crazy huh!

Feng Yuan
The last day in Taiwan I went to church in the area that I served the longest--Feng Yuan. I was there for 6 months...long enough to get to know the members really well. It was so exciting to show up at church and see many familiar faces. I was going nuts! If only I could have remembered the members' names.

Here are some sweet ladies I was REALLY excited to see!
This is Sister Chen! I had NO idea she was going to be there. When I saw her she and I both cried for about 5 minutes...we couldn't even say anything to each other. And every time we tried to talk we just cried. She made my day. I was so happy to see her still coming to church!
This is Yu-Min and her son (who was recently baptized). I found out the day before (through facebook-yeah facebook) that she would be there that day. I was still so shocked to see her and her son...he's much bigger than I expected! I wish I could have stayed all day and talk with these ladies, visit their families, and have them tell me everything that's happened in the last 11 1/2 years. I'm definitely going to have to go back.
This is Carie Chen. She's NOT even in this ward. Her husband is in the Stake YM's and they were visiting the ward for their Ward Conference JUST FOR THAT DAY. It was so random...I walked in and sat down directly behind her. She turned around, we stared at each other for a few moments, then started freaking out. She was in my very 1st area and she would go teach people with us a couple of times a week. She was the most amazing new member ever. We almost lost her to a car accident while I was there. We were the first ones to show up at the hospital and all she could say was "I need a blessing, I need a blessing." The hospital staff were so confused. We made a few calls and had some priesthood brothers come and give her a blessing. She lived in the hospital for many weeks in the Intensive Care unit. It was an absolute miracle that she lived. The priesthood has amazing powers. She later served a mission in the SLC Temple Square mission. I was able to visit her once while on her mission. I just love this girl.

JuDong
JuDong was the 2nd area I lived in. I was there about 2 months. This church just blows me away. When I was there we met in a little apartment building with just a few rooms. It kills me how beautiful and big this is.
JuDong is where I met Shirley. This is Shirley and Tia playing the piano.
The Huang Family

This family amazes me. They actually lived in Tokyo, but moved 2 weeks before we got here...I know...just 2 weeks. Anyways, they have 3 kids...that used to be really little. This is the youngest one who was Jayden's age when I met him-wow he's grown up!

Sister Huang wanted us to teach her daughter about our church, but she would ask all of the questions. Finally my companion and I asked her if we could teach her first. She was baptized a few weeks later, followed by her 2 daughters, her son (1 or 2 years later), and her husband 3 years later. They were sealed as a family in the Tokyo LDS Temple 4 years later and are now an Eternal Family. They are ABSOLUTELY amazing! Both the parents are very active in the church and are an amazing blessing to the church.

This trip was WAY too fast, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful we did it! I love Taiwan and all the wonderful people there. Thanks to all my friends that made this trip possible...we couldn't have done it without you! Till next time (hopefully it won't be another 11 years).

2 comments:

The Allreds said...

Glad I haven't gotten ready for the day...I'm sobbing like a baby! Sooooo happy that you got to reunite with so many special people! Thanks for sharing, Amy, it was very touching to see the pictures and read your comments!

Christina said...

So awesome Amy!!!