Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A good book...a good laugh!

My friend Alisha let me borrow this book a couple of months ago because she said it was really good. I finally sat down on Sunday and read it and I LOVED it!!! It's a small book with really quick chapters...just how I like it.

Anyways, I wanted to share one story from the book because it made me laugh so hard I could barely read the story to Shane because I was crying from laughing so hard. I know it's not as funny as it was to me that night, but I still want to share it and recommend this book to my friends and family. It is uplifting in all areas of life (laughing, friendship, loving where you come from, being single, saying good-bye, feasting on the scriptures, enduring to the end, & much much more). Reading it inspires you to be a better person.

About the Author: Mary Ellen Edmunds has served as a director of training at the Missionary Training Center and as a member of the Relief Society general board. She graduated from the College of Nursing at Brigham Young University, has been a faculty member at BYU, and has served full-time missions in Asia and Africa. She is the author or several books and talks on tape.

Book: MEE Speaks: But Does She Have Anything to Say?

Chapter: Laugh with MEE

So I try to laugh at myself whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Several years ago on Easter weekend I had assignments to speak in Fresno and Visalia (California). In order to save at least $7.00, I flew into Sacramento rather than Fresno. This allowed me the opportunity to drive to Fresno in the traffic of not just any Friday afternoon, but "Good Friday" afternoon.

I had made arrangements to go to the Fresno Temple with Lynn, whom I'd met at a women's conference in the area a few years earlier. When I finally got to the motel in Fresno and called her, I admit I was hoping she'd say that she wouldn't be there for another ten minutes or so. But no, she was very close, so I just said that I would hurry and change and meet her in the lobby.

I changed and collected my things as quickly as I could and headed back for the lobby, smiling and waving at the people who were in the halls and those cleaning the rooms.

I got to the lobby and met Lynn, and I smiled and waved at the kind people at the desk who had helped me check in just a few minutes earlier.

We got into the car, and I was buckling my seat belt when I noticed, to my horror, that I had forgotten my skirt!

I couldn't believe it! It just was not there where it should have been! I had on a slip, but it definitely looked like a slip...it looked nothing like a skirt!

So I said to Lynn, "I forgot my skirt!" And she said something like, "Oh, I didn't notice."

What? How could you not notice something like that! I wanted to do my grade-school rendition of "Liar, liar, pants on fire..." Instead, I said, "I'd better go get my skirt, since we're going to the temple." She agreed.

Back into the motel I went, smiling and waving...

No comments: